Sunday, August 26, 2007

Women in Saffron


A while back, I was talking to a small group of devotees in the Temple room. Someone asked me what it was like when I lived in the Temple. As I was recounting a story, I happened to mention that I wore saffron. There was a brahmacari in the back of the group who started laughing. He was laughing so hard that he actually fell over. I asked him what was so funny and he said that he had never heard of a woman wearing saffron, thought it was hilarious, and actually didn't believe me.

I was upset, needless to say. I was upset that he had never heard about Srila Prabhupada's female disciples who were celibate monks, upset that our history was not passed down, upset that he would laugh at something so serious, and upset that he would think I was lying.

I joined the Hare Krsna Movement in 1971 in Fresno, California, USA. After being discouraged by so many movements--the anti-war movement, the resistance movement, the women's movement, union organizing--the Hare Krsna Movement was a breath of fresh air straight from the spiritual world. So many things were going on. There were Temples all over the world.

In Fresno I lived with four brahmacaris. While we had separate rooms, for the rest of the day we talked together, ate together, chanted together, everything together. We were all celibate monks--wearing saffron--and we were going to subvert the materialists and take them all back Home, back to Godhead! It was all so much fun.

Later on, when I moved to Los Angeles to be at a larger Temple, I continued to wear saffron. There was a kind of dress code in Los Angeles. Unmarried men and women wore saffron, married women wore yellow, and married men wore yellow or white.

The brahmacarinis lived in one room and we slept in our sleeping bags lined up like sardines-in-a-can. We shared one toilet and a shower with three shower heads. Most everyone wore saffron. Some wore printed saris, but they were expensive and hard to come by. Some just bought yardage at the fabric store and that worked just as well.

In the Temple room at this time, everyone stood wherever they wanted to in the room. Men and women stood next to each other during arotika, sat next to each other during class, and chanted japa together. We talked to each other outside the Temple room, too. Working side by side we cooked, worked in the office, did sankirtan, and did pujari work together. Everything was very egalitarian.

When the edict came down that we should stand on different sides of the Temple room, I was very distressed. I regularly chanted japa in front of Lord Jagannatha and now I was banished to the other side of the room! Men became very rude, because they were told they weren't supposed to talk to us. If the only person in the room was a man, who was I supposed to ask if I had a question?

So, back to our brahmacari at the beginning of this post. I explained to him that I joined the Hare Krsna Movement because I was very serious about self realization. I joined as a monk. Saffron was the perfect expression of that. I was initiated in a saffron sari and Srila Prabhupada made no comment about it. He gave me a very wonderful name--Satya devi. She is a wife of Krsna. As Her servant I look for the truth and serve Her as best I can. Jaya Prabhupada!

.

4 comments:

Omer said...

Actually it is not a costume in gaudia-vaishnava tradition for a woman to wear saffron, but it also wasn't common for women to live in temples as brahmacharies. There are women babajie like devotees in India, but they wear a white sari. But basically, what does it matter what you wear? It's all about a state of mind which if we don't have there's no point in saffron.

Satya devi dasi said...

Thank you, Omer, for your comments. Yes, you are right, there is currently no custom for women to wear saffron in our tradition. While many things are customary -- Bengali Vaisnavas eating fish, for instance -- we don't do them. We should look to Guru, Sadhu, and Sastra for evidence. There are many reasons why this idea -- women in saffron -- has come to the forefront and why we should seriously consider it.

One reason, simply, is that Srila Prabhupada let us. While that is enough for his disciples, there should be supporting evidence from sadhu and Sastra.

The article below this on female ascetics clearly establishes the lone female in ascetic clothing performing ascetic sadhana. These images are not discussed frequently, either because they are unknown or don't support the status quo--namely women as support of men, or women as temptress.

As far as women living in temples as brahmacarinis, the word brahmacarini is there in the Puranic literature. Women lived in ashrams, as did Sita when banished by Lord Rama.

The position of women has changed very much since Puranic times. We no longer live in extended families where everyone had purpose and fulfillment. Now, women are, in general, not respected or cared for. A single woman is seen as a temptress even though her life has been dedicated to Lord Krsna.

Srila Prabhupada was a very liberal thinker and had great vision. He was very kind to us. I think that it is our responsibility to extend that kindness to everyone.

Thank you again.

Your servant,
Satya devi dasi

Anonymous said...

"Now, women are, in general, not respected or cared for."

I find that women are MORE respected and cared for than they were in previous times when their roles were more restricted, and they are definitely more respected and cared for in the West, compared to India, from my personal experience.

I know a few Indian Gaudiya vaishnava females who wear saffron also (in India).

Besides that, Yogamaya Purnamasi Devi is described as wearing saffron.

Anyway, if something is not a "tradition" you can always make it so for the first time!

Satya devi dasi said...

Radhe Radhe!

Thank you for your comment. I think you're right, respect for women does seem culturally dependent. My purpose in this posting was to mark a point in our recent history--women have worn saffron in ISKCON, it's not an aberration. The posting on female ascetics explores a similar idea but with a look at scripture.

Thank you again. It's heartening to know that people are reading this blog.